Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The beginning...not really!

I, like many others before me, will be subjecting those who bother coming this way...with my views, discoveries, photos etc, about my personal journey [while surely mentioning others'] on the preparation and eventual walk of The Way of St James.

The beginning... refers to the fact that I have decided this day to start blogging about the topic. I was made aware of The Way of St James (El Camino de Santiago) at least 4-5 years ago when I was expressing my need to travel. My brother, 2.5 years my senior, Robert, introduced me to the idea. It created quite the stir in my spirit and I have not been able to let go of the idea.

I proceeded to become a "Camino" junky and began to read most EVERYTHING on the subject. Including the movie with Martin Sheen, "The Way". It only created a greater stir!

Last summer (2013) I began to walk daily. I joined a gym. By January of 2014 (cause I walked in snow, rain, sleet, bitter cold as well as beautiful sunny days...) I purchased a FitBit to ensure that I was increasing not only my daily steps but distances as well.

I have walked up to 2-3 hours per day or 8-10km. Mind you all of that came to a slow almost stand still due to summer events, motorcycle, etc ...but that too shall change! Because,

          - this year I celebrated my 60th birthday...yeah me!
          - this year I committed to walk the Camino May/June of 2015.

The Shell below shows the stages from France (Saint Jean Pied Port) to end of journey in Spain (Santiago de Compostela)



I have acquired my Camino Credential (more on that later), backpack, sleeping bag, shoes, clothing, guide books, and numerous other little necessities.

Till soon

No comments:

Post a Comment